Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Because I haven't met the right person at the right time.

I don't plan on ending this blog any time soon. But this would probably wrap it all up.

I've been in a few relationships where the guy and I were crazy about each other and the possibility of marriage was openly discussed. For various reasons, however, they didn't ultimately work out. (I decided to go on a mission, for example, and got dear jane'd about a year out. Another love-of-my-life decided he wanted a certain lifestyle that in the end could never jive with mine—talk about long, drawn-out break up.)

So yeah. I know what it means to be in love. I know what it means to be head-over-heels. Sometimes I forget and need to remind myself. But I do know. And I have yet to meet someone I feel that way about where the circumstances are also right. Basically, I haven't met the right person at the right time.

A lot of us (especially in the mo community) have been taught some variation of: focus on being the right person and you will find the right person. Or, become the kind of person you want to marry, etc., etc.

While I do think there is some usefulness to that advice, I think it's very limited. It might well serve the selfish person who hopes to find a loving spouse. It might be of use to the loser who plays video games or gossips all day who hopes to find a spouse with depth.

But for a lot of us, while we're certainly far from perfect, this advice is not only useless but perhaps even detrimental.

We are the ones who have been in meaningful long-term relationships (romantic or otherwise) and know what it means to care, to love, to sacrifice. No, we're not perfect at it, but we know how to and are willing to put forth the effort to make a relationship work. We are the ones who have lives and interests of our own and are ready to share them with someone else. We're healthy enough to not be needy, but still realize that there are times when it's good to need. We are the ones who realize that looks aren't everything, but definitely work to maximize what we've been given. We are the ones who are already right for someone. While there may always be room for the improvement of certain traits, we do not need to change who we are in essentials. We have a lot to give. And when we meet the right person, we'll be ready to give it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't end your blog! oh, and right on.

Kelly said...

Hello
First time reader coming over from Single Mormon Chick. I do agree with all that you have said.

That being said I think there is also an element of putting yourself out there to be in the right place at the right time.

My wonderful sister of 35 went way out of her comfort zone and decided to give herself one year where she did the whole online dating thing. It took 4-5 months and she found someone. Not saying that would work out for everyone. Just a thought.

Best of luck to you!

Darling Nicki said...

A-freaking-men. why do people in the "mo community" think something is wrong with us because we're not married yet? I'm practically the only single girl in my work and all the girls are under 20! I'm 22 and the old maid! Ugh so frustrating. Sure, I've found a few men who I found suitable for marriage, but just like you put it.. the timing just wasn't right. Thanks for this post, It's nice to know someone out there understands me. Cheers to old maids.

suvi said...

My darling roommate turned 33 today. She is educated, talented, spiritual, blah blah blah. Really, just as you said, she's already pretty much there at being the right spouse for someone, and it is really depressing to see her and other friends wondering what more they can do "right". WTF?? As if someone who got married at 22 did something right, became the right person and thus attracted a mate.

Maybe you need to develop some bad habits and then work on overcoming them and THEN you will find someone. It's worth a shot, right?