Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Because I'm “too smart”

by SS

Apparently not everyone enjoyed hearing about my rendezvous with A. I, however, am pretty entertained by the fact that I somehow got to meet a cool guy through my anonymous blog. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

I do have to admit that I was little nervous about meeting him, though. In fact, I held off telling him that I was going to be in his neck of the woods until almost the last minute. I kind of liked the mystery of this whole thing, you know. Having this handsome stranger that I've never met posting on my blog. My concern was that if I met him, a lot of that mystery would be gone. I mean, yeah, we'd seen multiple pictures of each other on facebook, but you know it's never the same as seeing someone in real life and having an actual conversation instead of just emails and texts. I mean, what if they have an annoying voice? What if they can't stop talking about themselves? What if you just don't click? You never know!

But in the end I couldn't resist. Much like I couldn't resist adding him on fb in the first place. Well, let me tell you, I wouldn't have bothered with either of these anonymity-compromising actions if he didn't look so damn good in all his pictures. Call me superficial, but hey, that's all you have to go on in the very beginning. If anything, I was concerned that he would be way out of my league in the looks department. Which was kind of intimidating. But I decided I didn't care. I decided that if this guy is going to be posting on my blog, I wanted to meet him. And he did not disappoint. Ladies, I am sorry, but you're just going to have to use your imaginations on this one.

So yeah, he was easy to talk to. Sometimes I tend to take myself too seriously and so I appreciate someone who is laidback and able to see the lighter side of things. His outlook on life was also quite refreshing. I didn't sense any of the usual underlying bitterness about being single that seems all too common amongst us “older” singles.

I do need to tell you something that he left out. I had just started driving down the road after our lunch when he called me. He's like, “Soooo?” Me: “Huh?” Him: “Tell me.” Me: “Uh, I don't know what you're talking about.” (I promise I wasn't being coy. I really didn't know what he wanted me to tell him.) Him: “Would you date me? I mean, if we lived in the same town, do you think you'd date me?” At this point I think I pretty much just start laughing. Because really, I don't think any guy's ever come out and asked me straight up if I would date him. Usually, the guy just keeps asking you out until eventually you say no or else he loses interest, right? But yeah, I guess A and I have a kind of unique situation. So it was a legit question. Just unexpected.

Back to the conversation. Me: “Well, uh, I mean, I only talked to you for like an hour. It's hard to. . .” Him (pretty sure he's laughing at me by this point): “I'm not asking if you'd marry me! Just if you think you'd date me.” Me (probably flustered): “Uh, yeah, I'd go out with you again. I had fun.” At which point he launches into his compliment shower which you already got to experience in his blog post. And which hopefully made none of you puke. As for me, it pretty much made my night after a ridiculously long and stressful day yesterday. So thanks, A. :)

Back to the conversation again. Eventually he gets to: “I know why you're still single!” Me: “And why is that?” Him: “Because you're too smart. It's intimidating to guys.”

Okay, single ladies, raise your hand if you've ever been told that you're still single because guys are probably just intimidated by you. For being too smart, too together, too beautiful, too whatever. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

I'm not trying to discredit A's observation here. I guess I'm just trying to understand what this intimidation thing really even means. I know it can be real. But how real? And how common is it? When asked (especially if asked by a girl), I think a lot of guys will say they wouldn't let a smart/successful/whatever girl intimidate them. They would say they liked the challenge of trying to keep up with her. They would say they want their girl to fulfill her dreams as much as possible. But how many of these guys really mean it? I'm sure these guys are out there, but I think they're hard to weed out. Maybe you could all wear signs or something? That would really help us out a lot.

One last thing. I have a “weird obsession”??! Hahaha. That totally makes it sound like I collect cats or have a strange addiction to the Home Shopping Network or something. Just to clarify to the readers, it's a professional obsession. Some may call it crazy/dangerous, but I get paid good money to do something that I totally love. What more could I want? And it kicks ass. Hmph.

In the meantime, A, if you do feel up for the challenge, you're more than welcome to come out and crash my "hot, smart, and successful" east coast life. ;)

26 comments:

noyb said...

i HATE that whole intimidation thing. i think just about every woman has heard it before. it sucks.

Lindsey said...

I've been getting the "intimidating" comment since high school and back then I didn't own my own home, have a solid career, travel, or do humanitarian aid...just imagine the predicament I have now :)

Mechanica said...

I definately heard the intimidating statement a lot and nothing was more annoying to me. It was an immediate turn off (I guess I chose the wrong major in college). In my opinion a good match is where each admires the other and thinks they are getting the better end of the deal. If that makes since. I did find however that if someone took the time to know me, they weren't intimadated. It was really the major/career that was intimidating.

anonymous said...

Ladies, it IS stupid, it's an ego thing, it's the way our society raises boys. Somewhere along with being told we have to be the provider, we pick up that we have to be the smartest, make the most money, and have the coolest career. I don't know WHY, I think it's retarded but a LOT of guys are like that. Personally, I prefer the complete catch to an empty vessel but many guys have control issues...who knows...

And SS, you work that obsession, men LOVE cats! :-D

Nate said...

Hate to say it, but if a guy is giving you that line, it's shorthand for "He's Just Not That Into You." If he were, it wouldn't matter how smart, successful, etc. you were - because he would be into you.

I think I saw a book or movie about that or something... ;-)

Annie and Zeke Smyth said...

Intimidation!! I have heard this comment at least once a week since I was 14.. I never took offence to it, I spent every day striving to be better and more intimidating the next day so that at least if I was going to hear it, it would be true! Married now, I still to this day hear that in my professional life. I take it as the highest possible compliment!

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm female, I agree with Nate. If a guy says that, it would be time to move on since it really shouldn't matter to a guy how smart you are. If he likes you, he will work with it.

Tierra Wakefield said...

I agree with Nate as well-and fully support that book that may have been alluded to...

If a guy really, truly likes you, nothing gets in the way of that. If he's giving you a reason that he can't date you, he's simply saying he's weighed the options and you're not worth changing for or adapting to (AKA fitting into his life).

whyimstillsingle said...

Exactly! That's pretty much where I was trying to go when I blogged about Jake and Andrea awhile back. People don't break up with you for being too good for them! If someone's really that into you, they'll try to step up to your level. If they're not that into you, the challenge just won't seem worth it to them and they'll move on.

And I think I kinda get the whole ego and society thing that A mentioned. Being raised in a pretty traditional culture, guys have it drilled into their heads that they have to be the provider. I can imagine it's hard for some guys to adjust a mindset they've been carrying their whole lives. All I can say is that I know it's been challenging for me at times, having also been raised in a traditional culture by the quintessential SAHM, to let myself embrace the fact that I can pursue whatever course I want in life (however crazy it may be!) and provide for myself.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit this, but a couple of years ago when I began to shop for homes, I actually took into account what possible effect it might have on my dating life. I know, pathetic. While I wasn't about to go out and tell everyone that I was a homeowner, I did stop to consider what a guy might think if he found out. I know, I should probably give the guys more credit. But it was a concern. It didn't ultimately affect anything because I went out and did what I wanted anyways. :) But it does make you stop and think.

And A, why did you have to tell everyone about my cats? I was trying throw everyone off here!

Anonymous said...

But I do the same thing to the guys. When they don't seem to be as ambitious as I am or have tried to progress in ANY career, I'm not into them either. I admit I once said I wasn't interested in a guy cuz I didn't want to live in a trailer.

It goes both ways.

Angela said...

SS, you hit the nail on the head - if someone is into you, they'll step up to your level. so with all these intimidating women in the world, what does that say about the men? Time to man up.

Ryan Hadlock said...

I know women want to think that men will just like them for who they are, and we totally should. But the male ego is a fragile thing, and we surely don't always do "what we should". It's not just a question of "he's just not that into you" it's a question of a man being comfortable enough to truly have his EQUAL (or better) in a relationship, and a LOT of men can't handle that. If given the choice between two equally attractive women and one is smarter than them, the men will choose the less-smart one a lot of the time. It's EGO ladies. Take the MBP guys in their latest Q&A post, they specifically say they'd have a hard time dating smarter girls (some of that is surely tongue in cheek, but there is a lot of truth to it.) Does this mean women should dumb themselves down to get a man? HELL NO! It just means you're going to have a more limited choice in who is man enough to date you. You don't want the wussies who can't handle your intelligence anyway, unless you just like the bad boys, which is a whole other issue.

Shoot, I'll take a smart, successful, independent woman every time. I think it's great when two independent people can decide they like each other enough to be together and just enjoy each other rather than becoming co-dependent or completely dependent.

Mormon Bachelor Pad said...

I was curious about your appearance before, but now it's killing me. I'll bet a million dollars that you're smokin' hot. "Hot" as in, the "not demeaning" sort of hotness.

-c

Nate said...

With respect to Ryan, I'll stick with my previous comment - it means he's just not that into you (the women, not Ryan ;-). Your attractiveness or whatever else is not the issue. I was specifically looking for smart, intelligent women when I was trying to find someone to marry, and I found her. Mental vacant lots never interested me.

It's not a matter of the guy deciding not to change as it is not being into you. If he were into you, he wouldn't need to change (much anyway), because he would already see you as part of his future. The mentality that the guy needs to change to accommodate a woman in his life is fundamentally flawed.

Oh yeah (to the anonymous post), I'm not sure what being female has to do with agreeing with me (meaning females as a rule shouldn't agree with me? I don't know... ;-), but I'll take what I can get.

Tierra Wakefield said...

Really, Nate? You don't think relationships require changing and adapting? Change and adaptation aren't necessarily negative things. In fact, one of the things I love most about my husband is his ability to make me want to change and adapt into being a better person. Not better for HIM (believe me, I'm no Stepford wife), just better in general.

Nate said...

That was taken somewhat out of context. My point was simply that if a guy is into a girl, he will already be able to see a future with them together and it wouldn't require that much of a change in him. I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence, any change that comes will come from within for its own benefit (although others can certainly inspire us), but the change will happen ultimately because we want it to happen. A guy is not going to go and get a PhD, make a million dollars, and whatever else so he can be worthy of some girl he has put on a pedestal as being smart, successful, etc. He may do it on his own, she might inspire him to do it, but ultimately in his mind there is already a future with this girl.

Kind of rambling, it makes sense in my mind, but I guess I am not conveying it well. But I never meant to imply that change and growth don't happen in a relationship.

Tierra Wakefield said...

Nate, I think I understand what you're saying. Valid points.

CarrieBradshaw* said...

I think when a guy tells you that he's intimidated by you it's just a big fat cop out. What, is it going to take more work for you to one up us? You feel you can't be a pathetic loser because we'll be disappointed? I don't know, everyone is different and we all have different means of success. I'm pretty "together" "independent" and "motivated" so yes it intimidates lots of men. I'm sorry I have confidence in myself to walk up to a guy at a party and say, "Hi, my name is Carrie what's your name?".

Do guys just want some shy school girl who they can mold into who they want? Sometimes I just think I'm too "real" for guys to handle. So many men will compliment my character and love how passionate I am about what I do, but get all freaked out about "disappointing" me so they figure it's easier to let me go then work at a relationship.

I'm not saying A is a jack ass but I'm so sick of hearing that cop out. Let the intimidation be a positive thing! We work hard to get where we are, and deserve a man with balls.

anonymous said...

Why would I be a jackass? I didn't say *I* was intimidated, quite the opposite if you read my post. I think confidence is about the sexiest quality a woman can possess, but many, MANY guys don't like it, I can't help that, I am but one man. ;-)

Jules AF said...

Being told you're intimidating is so irritating. It's like, well, maybe if you were more stupid, it'd be easier. I COULDN'T CARE LESS about those kinds of guys for whom I'm too smart.

Mechanica said...

I think a lot of the commentors are right that if a guy is into you it won't matter. It just definately affects if that guy is going to be into you sometimes. I have heard the intimidating thing so many times because once you tell a guy you are a biomedical engineer 97% of the time the first thing to come out of his mouth is "wow, that's really intimidating". But some guys don't care. My husband didn't care at all. He thought that it was cool that when I go to work I am compensated well for my time.
I came to the conculstion that guys need to feel respected just as girls need to feel loved and some guys feel that respect is threatened if the girl is "smarter" than them. I think Ryan is right, it just means your dating options are more limited.

Nameed said...

What I find a little confusing is why exactly does it matter if a guy is intimidated by you? I mean if you truly are independent and not in need of a man then why does it matter if you can't find one? Why do you need or want a man? What is lacking in your life if you don't have a man? We hear so often today that women today no longer need a man. So if you don't need a man then what does it matter that you can't find one? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

You read stuff like this and it's obvious why the number of gays is always increasing.

ecampel said...

I m 28 about to start the Doctoral program , own my own business ( it s really small) ...after going out on 3 dates with this guy he told me the same thing...he said : You know too much, you are too smart...' - I never heard from him again...- Seriously ladies , do we need to play dumb to interest a good guy, so he won't feel intimidated or challenged? ...and if so Is that the kind of men I want to raise my daughters? ....

Anonymous said...

It seems like the only women told "you're too smart" are lacking in something else the guy doesn't want to admit.

I have a PhD, and no guy has ever told me that...In fact, I married a guy who dropped out of college. I've never had a hard time finding a date, either.

Way to put yourself out there, blogger. I have a PhD in psychology, but I'm sure you'll learn more than I did if you keep this up! Put yourself out there, and learn young! Hopefully you'll save yourself a lot of heartache
Good luck! :)

George Moffett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.