Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Question

Why are you still single?

ATTENTION NON-SINGLE FRIENDS. This is why you should never, ever ask the question:

1. It's none of your business. Period.


Not a good enough reason for you? I'll go on.

2. There is no acceptable or simple answer to the question.
(Scenario 1- Me: “My morning breath is ridiculously bad.” You: “Oh yeah, that sucks. Makes sense now.”
Scenario 2- Me: “Well, let's start with my first boyfriend, Paul. . . .[30 minutes later]. . . .THEN! the long distance thing with Adam just wasn't working out. . . .” You: “Shoot me.”)

3. No matter how much you mean it to be, the question is NOT a compliment. You *supersweet voice*: “How on earth has someone not snatched you up yet?”

All the question does is perpetuate the idea that if one is (good, smart, hot, rich, accomplished, whatever) enough, then he/she will no longer be single.

Some of us are single by choice.

Some of us have had really tragic things happen to us in love.

Some of us do not find ourselves in social situations that are conducive to meeting marriage material.

Some of us really do have ridiculously bad morning breath.

And on a related note, it perpetuates the same idea when you say things like, “Oh, of course he/she didn't stay single for long! What a catch!”

There is no "good enough" to get married. We all know stupid people that are married. We all know ugly people that are married. We all know mean people that are married. Think about it.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Criminals get married.

Anonymous said...

Very funny this one.
cc

Unknown said...

Stupid question asked by stupid people.

alex dumas said...

Every time I see one of those people that make me wonder if *all* humans are indeed children of God, and then I find out that this person is *married,* I have to shake my head and admit: there really is someone for everyone.

Miss Nicole said...

I could not agree more!! Well said :-)