Friday, May 8, 2009

The picky one

The cliche about single people is that they're single for one of the following reasons:

1. They're afraid of commitment.

2. They're too picky.

I confessed to hating commitment in my very first post. So I guess my confession to being picky is long overdue.

So yes, I am picky. But am I too picky? How picky is too picky?

I really don't think there's a satisfactory answer to that question.

We all know couples who pretty much fell in love at first sight. They had tons in common, were finishing each other's sentences after the first date, and hey—they even kinda look alike. This isn't to say their relationship is perfect, but there was never any doubt from the beginning that they were made for each other and would be sticking it out no matter what.

We also all know couples who really had to grow into each other—or at least one had to grow into the other. From the beginning they seemed to be polar opposites. The girl never imagined she'd be with a guy like that. Or vice versa. But somehow they've made it work. They're very independent, have their own interests and friends, but there's no doubt they really love each other.

Most of my relationships have been like the first kind. Obviously they didn't work out in the end for various reasons. But the fact is, we didn't ever really have to grow into each other. We were both hooked from the beginning.

For better or for worse, if I'm not feeling it after a first or second date, that's it for me. I don't like dating much to begin with, so if I'm not excited about it, I'm out. I also don't like the feeling of trying to talk myself into things, especially when it comes to relationships. I'd rather just nip it in the bud before feelings get too involved.

But I've often wondered if I'm going about it all wrong. I mean, what if I'd gone on more third and fourth dates? Would I be happily married right now?

Illustration.

Sometime last year I met this cute guy visiting from a neighboring state. He was really nice, a lot of fun, and extremely confident—in the good way. He was leaving town that night, but got my number and said he'd call me sometime.

Sure, whatever, I thought.

You can imagine my surprise when he actually called that very night. We ended up chatting for almost 2 hours. (And I am not a phone person.) It was a lot of fun. He told me he visits my city a lot and would like to take me out the next time he was in town.

But here's the thing. Even though it was surprisingly fun to talk to him, it was clear from the beginning that we didn't have much in common. Our life backgrounds, our education backgrounds, our career backgrounds, our ideas of fun—all so very different.

I decided not to go out with him when he came back into town.

I know. But there were gaps that I felt were unbridgeable. Go ahead and judge me. But I did what I felt was best at the time.

So am I going about dating all wrong? Especially as I get older. There's no denying that the already-small dating pool is getting smaller and smaller each year. If I can manage to find a nice guy who treats me well, is firm in the gospel, and isn't a loser, do I go ahead and try to make it work with him?

In the eternal scheme of things, is getting married to a good man and raising children more important than compatibility of interests and intellect?

I'm not looking for someone who's exactly the same as me. I definitely value my independence in relationships and would need to have some space to myself. But there are a few things that are reallllly important to me. These are things that majorly affect one's lifestyle, but ultimately have no bearing on whether or not someone is a good person or would make a good spouse.

So how picky is too picky?

I think it's different for everyone. I still don't have an answer for myself, but am trying to figure it out. I have recently decided to go beyond a second date with someone who is not what I have pictured for myself. But I do find myself getting kind of excited when he calls. So, let the experiment continue.

I'll let you, my dear blog stalkers, know how it goes. ;)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

gah! I'm addicted to your blog!

suvi said...

i stalk. but not in a creepy, weirdo way. Just because I'm glad someone else is writing down everything that is going on in my head when it comes to dating.

I went on a date last weekend (I can't post about it on my own blog because he might see it, which is why being anonymous is so useful sometimes). I'm in the same boat, having scoffed at the idea of going out with boys that it doesn't click with immediately or we don't seem really compatible, but am recently wondering if I should expand my dating pool. So I went out with this guy who come from out of state to take me out. I knew him in high school and i haven't seen him in years and all the old ladies in my home ward have been talking me up to him (I know, i know, right there is where the line should be drawn, but what if they are right?). In any case, we went out on the most extravigent date I have ever been on-- Tavern on the Green, cab to the theater, Broadway show, pedi-cab ride through times square (because I absolutely refused to go on a carriage ride through Central Park, on the grounds that it is cruel to the horses (and to me)). This guy-- he is kind, he is nice, he loves the gospel, he has a good career, loves his mom, told me I was beautiful... and despite all of that, it just wasn't there. And you can't make it be there. And I don't think it is shallow of me to think it won't work with this guy because i prefer dates to a dive vietnamese place, or when i mention a current event i want the guy to know what I'm talking about.

So, what I'm saying is, i think it's okay to be picky. I think it's okay to want not just someone to raise a family with but someone with whom you can share your brain and spirit and heart and body. You sound like an interesting and thoughtful person, and just because you are 28 (oh the horror!) and single doesn't mean it is time to give up seeking that feeling of connection. That's what makes the babies be born after all.

whyimstillsingle said...

I love your comments, S. Not creepy at all. :)

I'd be curious to know how your date ended. Will you be seeing this guy again at all or did you cut it off right then and there?

I understand if it's personal. I'm just generally curious how other girls go about ending things quickly and in a classy way so that no one gets hurt.

suvi said...

You know, i'm not sure that I've been very classy about it. The ending was nice, and I thanked him, even sent him a text message thanks for the date, but made it clear that I wasn't expecting to see him again. He lives out of state, so he didn't say anything about seeing each other again either, but he did call last week, and I haven't called him back yet. I will, but I've been sick and busy with school, which are excuses that I kind of hope that he sees through. I hope I don't hurt him, but that is something I'm not very sure how to do. I guess I just hope things fade, or very kindly say no thank you.

Mormon Bachelor Pad said...

Oh my gosh. After reading this post... you'd totally fall in love with me on our first date. Sorry, but it's true.

whyimstillsingle said...

Well then. Too bad you live in faraway Utah.

Ryan Hadlock said...

While some of your blog is truly hilarious, I kinda get the feeling you're not necessarily picky as much as too hard on yourself. If you don't like a guy, big deal! If a guy doesn't like you, his loss. I'd probably get a lot of "Easy to say, hard to do" comments if I said this to my chick friends, but it's true. So, here's the thing about this post. Quit worrying if you have a ton of stuff in common. I see there are a few things very important to you - great, stick with those. But don't worry if he doesn't like needlepoint or kittens. Don't try to like football or Ultimate fighting, if you don't like it. Look at it this way, whatever your SO does, you can learn from him, learn new things, gain appreciation for new things, etc. He should be doing the same thing with your hobbies and likes. Frankly, if we all dated/married people who liked all the same things we do, Prop 8 would have failed miserably. Celebrate the differences, look at the man, don't focus so hard on how similar/dissimilar you are. Try that on, see how it fits. :-)

whyimstillsingle said...

Needlepoints and kittens?! Hahaha. :) Of course!

I think you're right on about my being too hard on myself. Sometimes I put too much pressure on myself to try to like someone just because I think I *should* like him--because he's nice, or smart, or cute, or whatever.

As for the rest of your comment, I think we're talking about 2 different things. I have no problem with my guy liking football even though I just don't get it. I don't mind if a guy's not into the same music as me. I'm not talking about differences in hobbies, but differences in more essential things. Like different views on the importance of education or having a steady job. Even travel is a big one for me because it's more than just a hobby, but a lifestyle. I know I couldn't be happy staying in the same state for the rest of my life, but that *is* something that you and your companion have to be compatible about.

Carissa said...

I'm just going to throw this out there... as long as you know you're being reasonable, there is no such thing as too picky. this is eternity we're talking about here. I would say anything you can change you should let slide (like what brand of jeans he wears, his hairstyle... etc.) but anything that is kind of set in stone is a deal breaker or a deal maker...
I was very picky when dating and that's not to say that they guys I dated and decided were ultimately not for me were not great guys, they were, I just felt that there would be someone better for me in the future.