Saturday, May 2, 2009

Things left unsaid

Most recent date:

Guy: So could you ever live in __________? (location which shall remain unnamed)
Me *spiritedly*: Nope.

Guy *chuckling*: Really? Never?
Me: No, I'm being serious. It's not an option for me.

Guy: Well what if your husband were to get a job there?
Me *without missing a beat*: I'd leave him.

At this point we both bust out laughing and the subject is changed.

But what I was thinking is: I have a good job here. Not the kind that I can just leave and pick up again in another state.

A major move wouldn't just be about my husband finding a new job and packing us all up. It would require a lengthy discussion about what was best for BOTH of our careers. Gone are the days of the woman following the man around.

You can see, of course, why I didn't bring this up. A bit heavy for a date.

I'll probably go out with this guy again. He's a good guy.

I just want to observe this:

1. I do think that his offhand question is representative of a (perhaps subconscious?) mentality that is quite pervasive. And not just in the mo-world.

2. I do worry about finding a guy who will not just say he's okay with my feelings about my career. . .but will actually follow through with his support when it comes down to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

De-lurking here. I actually have some of the same concerns. I don't know who you are, but thanks for doing this blog. It's good to know there are others in the same boat as me!

alex dumas said...

I'm going to guess that the state in question is UTAH. Am I right? I used to say I could never live here, coming from California. But it's not that bad.