Saturday, May 9, 2009

Girls, please.

Loudly and publicly proclaiming how long it's been since you've been on a date is never appropriate.

Sorry, ladies, I wouldn't bring this up if I didn't see it happen far too often. (And I've seen it happen a number of times just recently.)

This is the problem:

1. No one knows how to respond to you when you say something like that. Are we supposed to pity you, start guy bashing, what? Because none of that is really comfortable or appropriate in public.

2. If you're hoping that some guy is going to overhear you and ask you out, keep on hoping. It's not gonna happen. It only makes you seem desperate which is less than attractive.

3. Even if by some miracle it does get you a pity date—do you really want a pity date?

We've all been there. But save it for that phone call with a good friend. Do not share it with everyone at Friday night's party.

2 comments:

Mollie said...

When one of my best friends read this he had a reason to add:

4. If a guy had been wanting to ask you out and then hears you say that. He now has to worry about making it not look like a pity date.

I'd also add:

5. A guy would probably wonder, "WHY hasn't she been asked out in so long? Should I ask her out? Is it even a good idea? Does she really even want to date?"

Alanna said...

Just found your blog and have been enjoying perusing it!

This post made me think of my Theory of Datability, which is basically that the more you date, the more other guys will notice that you are sought after and want to take you out, too. In order to make it work, you need to go on dates even if you don't think the guy is "the one" (or whatever). Not a ton of dating, mind you-- don't use the poor boy!-- but enough so that it's clear that you are someone who dates.

If you're complaining that you haven't been out in ages, then I think other guys might say to themselves, "Well, no one else seems interested in her. There's probably something wrong with her, so I won't ask her out, either."

(Which is all pretty much what Mollie just said, but I had to elaborate!)