Thursday, April 16, 2009

Because I'm not domestic.

And never will be.

Yes, I know that a girl doesn't have to be domestic to get married. But, generally speaking, it's harder for such a girl to find a Mormon man who is okay with this. Not impossible, just more challenging.

My mom was a SAHM. She got married very young. As a little girl, I always assumed it would be similar for me.

As I got a little older, I decided I wanted to do other things before getting married. At a minimum, I wanted to serve a mission, travel the world, study abroad, graduate from college, get some good work experience. Then I figured I would ultimately become a SAHM myself.

Now, well into an enjoyable career, I can't imagine giving it up. Even when/if I get married and have kids.

This doesn't mean I want nannies raising my kids. But I also don't think it means I stop working.

I am more than willing to go part time with my job when the kids are young. I want to be able to spend that time with them. Fortunately, I have a job that would allow me to be flexible with my hours. Hypothetical Husband and I could arrange our work schedules so that we don't have to hire child care at all. However, it's possible that HH would also have to go part time in order to make this plan work.

Also:

Domestic duties will be split 50/50. I hate cooking, but will do it as needed. And I actually don't mind cleaning so much, as long as I'm not doing all of it.

I have yet to date a guy who is okay with this plan. Know any? ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If he loves you, he will be more than willing to do the dishes every night. And help out with whatever.