Sunday, April 12, 2009

I refuse to lose my fb identity.

What's up with newly marrieds creating joint fb accounts?

Can any married couples please tell me why you would need a joint account? You both already have your own individual one to keep up with your friends, right? And the wife has already started keeping a cute little blog of your guys' “adventures,” no?

So really, there can be no other reason except to tell the world, “Look, WE'RE MARRIED!!!” (Oh, except fb already lets you do this by setting your relationship status. Oh, and by letting you set your status update. Oh, and by letting you post pictures of the two of you. Oh, and by letting you write on each other's walls about how much you love each other.)

Okay, so you still feel that a joint fb is required? Please consider the following issues before creating one:

1. Status updates. Scenario 1-“JohnJane Cracksmith is going to take my test. Wish me luck!” (So which one of you is taking the test? Now, instead of being a tool to help me keep track of my friend's life, fb is just confusing me!)
Scenario 2-“JohnJane Cracksmith is going to spend the evening with my girlfriends.” (Okay, hopefully this is Jane talking, but you know that John's friends are cracking up right now.)
Scenario 3-“JohnJane Cracksmith loves his wife.” (Just sounds awkward. But more importantly, this should never be an actual status update in the first place because no one wants to see that mushy crap.)

2. Writing on other people walls. Scenario 1-on Felicia's wall. JohnJane Cracksmith wrote: “Felicia, you look soooo hot in your new profile pic.” (Felicia thinks to herself, “Thanks, Jane. It IS Jane, right? Dang, I hope my friend's man isn't making a play for me.”)
Scenario 2-on Ryan's wall. JohnJane Cracksmith wrote: “Hey Ry, wanna hang out this Saturday?” (“Well,” thinks Ryan. “That depends. It'd be cool to hang with John, but Jane's kinda annoying. Did he mean just me and him or me and the two of them?” And so in his confusion Ryan pretends to not see the message in time.)

3. Picture Tagging. So John and Jane spend an evening with a friend. Now it's time for the friend to post and tag the pictures. Friend: "Wait. . .fb won't let me tag 2 'JohnJane Cracksmiths' in the same picture?!? Now what am I supposed to do? Which face do I tag as 'JohnJane Cracksmith'?"

4. All your friends hate you because you make them friend you again. (Your friend *opens friend request page*: “Wait. I thought I was already friends with John Cracksmith. Oh, I see. This is JohnJane Cracksmith. Grrr.”

5 comments:

Brian said...

Ha. So true. A couple friends of mine just got married and switched to a joint account. So lame.

kate said...

cracksmith. love it.

Anonymous said...

when you get married, get off fb. Just my opinion.
cc

Unknown said...

I HATE it when they share a fb page. Makes it SO confusing. And the happy blogs make me sick to my stomach. I am engaged (again), but I will NEVER have a shared FB page or lovey-dovey blog... SICK!!! It makes me so mad.

alex dumas said...

Let's take a walk back in time to before Facebook, when there was just email. (Are you that old?) I had the same problem with email accounts. "Oh look, I got a message from JJJones@hotmail.com [Jane and John Jones]. But who is is from? And if I reply, who will read it?"