Sunday, February 19, 2012

500 Days

I've always liked the movie “500 Days of Summer.” I'm a sucker for any good love story, but I especially appreciate when the love story doesn't follow the typical chick flick plot. I like “500 Days” because, rather than being a story about how 2 people fall in love with each other, it's a story about how 2 people learn and grow and ultimately get to a point where they're ready to fall in love—even though it's not with each other.

When I first watched this movie, I got that it was ultimately happy, that both characters would ultimately end up in a better place. But I admit that the movie mostly left me feeling sad. I felt that I, like Tom, had gotten my heart broken. I had been strung along and had spent too much time pining for something that never was to be. Even though the movie did end somewhat happily for Tom, as he pursues his dream job and takes another chance in love, I couldn't help but feel sad for all the time he lost and all the heartache he had suffered. Moreover, I'd wondered if he'd truly be able to give love a fair chance or if he would be forever tainted by his experience with Summer.

I hadn't seen that movie in a long time, but today I watched it for the first time with my husband. This time instead of feeling frustrated with Summer's character for leading Tom on, or feeling sad for Tom's heartache, I saw 2 people doing the best they could to find love. Summer claimed she didn't actually believe in love, but obviously she held out some sort of hope as she pursued things with Tom, however “casual” she wanted to take it. And Tom, for his part, probably pushed too hard for love, but he was only following his heart and doing what seemed right to him. Summer just wasn't the right one for him.

This time I felt happy that Summer, who had obviously been hurt by her parents' divorce and didn't believe in love, was able to find it so quickly and so unexpectedly. At the end of the movie she tells Tom about meeting her husband. She asks rhetorically, what if I hadn't been at the coffee shop that day, what if I'd gone to see a movie, or had come 10 minutes later. She then tells Tom that he had been right about love—it just wasn't between him and her.

And I felt happy that Tom used the experience to improve himself by seeking a career that truly fulfilled him. I felt happy that, even after getting his heart broken, even after spending 500 days of his life in love with Summer, he was able to move on and find hope for the future.

I loved that one of my husband's first comments to me after the movie ended was in regards to Summer's description of meeting her husband. He said to me: “It's like us. What if we hadn't been at the same restaurant that night? What if we both hadn't taken jobs in the same foreign country?”

It's kind of overwhelming to think of how many little things could have gone differently for us. A small step here or there in another direction and we'd never have met. But they didn't go differently. This is our reality. This is our luck.

I spent a lot of time on this blog trying to figure out why I was still single. I still don't really have an answer for myself or for anyone else. Maybe it was just as simple as meeting the right person at the right time for both of us. Simple and serendipitous at the same time.

Maybe there's just a lot of luck involved. So many factors are out of our control. But I think the idea is to keep yourself in the best place you possibly can—for yourself, most importantly. But also so that you will be in the right place when the right person shows up.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, you've hit it exactly right. Isn't it great how the chaos of life comes into harmony for one instant like that? It was the same with me and my wife. She loves that movie too, by the way. Well, congratulations on finding the right one unexpectedly.

Anonymous said...

"I've always liked the movie '500 Days of Summer.' I'm a sucker for any good love story..."

Stop right there.

"500 Days of Summer" is not a love story. It is a movie about a nice guy who likes a girl that doesn't feel the same way and just uses him. She never was in love. He gets trashed throughout the whole movie.

It maybe a "great" movie for women because she sees what the Tom does for Summer. Part of that self-centered nature of women.

"Oh look! He will die for me! He bought me flowers! He loves me!

Anyways, I would categorize the movie as a "Tragedy" at best, and downright depressing at worst. How anyone sees it as a "love story" is beyond me.

Perhaps I feel like Tom with so much baggage especially from a particular woman, compounded by everyday disappointments with the opposite sex.

Still single said...

I am reading your blog for the first time today. Just when I thought I found the perfect blog I could relate to - I find it has ended because of an happy ending. (BTW congratulations on getting married and no longer being single!)

Actually reading some of these posts by both SS and the 2 other male bloggers has made me realise that there are people out there in the world - both male and female who face the same issues. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one. It's a shame you couldn't base the baton on...for people like me who need more insight. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this blog. I have followed it intermittently through the years and often it has mirrored my feelings. I think one of the hardest things about being single is feeling isolated. This blog helped me feel like someone else has experienced the same things I am experiencing. Congrats on the marriage.

Unknown said...

I have two sons, my husband dumped me for another girl, I was heart broken until I saw Dr JUJU in just two days he casted a spell that brought him back am now happy with him he is now the kind of man I want him to be, contact Dr JUJU via email:j spiritoflovespell@gmail.com Or call DR JUJU on his cell phone +2348160441007

Mrs Tom aliody

Anonymous said...


'Hello every one there. AM Gillian , I found a great spell caster on line who helped me to get back my husband who has left me for the pass 5 years. we where married for 7 years without a child and my friend introduce me to a real spell caster named priest omigodo, which i never believe it exist but after the meeting of this spell caster my problem where solved in just 2days and now i am with my husband who left me for the pass 5 years my life and my entire family are now happy now i have two kids with the help of this great spell caster. thanks to priest omigodo and i will advice anyone in need of help to contact him with this email address (templeofsolution@gmail.com) or call priest omigodo on +2348079367204

Mrs Jadasophia cole
CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
UNITED STATES

Miss Joyce said...

I want to thank Dr. Ekpiku for getting my lover back to me within 48 hours. When my lover left me i was so tired and frustrated till i search the internet for help and i saw so many good talk about Dr Ekpiku of Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com and i decided to give him a try and i contact him and explain my problems to him and he cast a love spell for me which i use to get my husband back.If you want to get your lover back contact Dr. Ekpiku via email: Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com Dr. Ekpiku the great man that is able to bring back lost love

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Dr odudu for bring back my lover in just 48hours when my lover left for another woman Dr odudu brought him back for me, i marry for 10year without issue and i did all my best to make sure i get pregnant but it never happen that is the reason my husband went aside and be dating another woman but when i contact Dr odudu the great spell caster he cast a spell for me in just two weeks i started getting some since in me when i when to hospital it was confirm that am pregnant when i send the letter to my husband that am pregnant it was like dream to him that is how my husband come back home and will were now living a happy life contact Dr odudu for any kind of help that bothers your contact email; oduduspell@gmail.com or call +2348051913076
mata from UK

Anonymous said...

my name is comfort i am from canada i went you to help me thank Dr odudu that help me caster a spell on my ex lover two months ago my friend give me am email which is Dr odudu the great man when i email him i told him my problem,he me that my lover we be back in 48hours before 24hours my lover where real back contact him today on oduduspell@gmail.com try and see what he can do call +2348051913076 or email him on oduduspell@gmail.com
COMFORT FROM CANADA

Anonymous said...

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF SOLUTION WERE ALL PROBLEMS ARE SLOVE BY THE GREAT DR BABATOYA CONTACT HIM AT BABATOYASPELL@GMAIL.COM OR CALL +2347051835215
JUILTE FROM U S A

CALL PRIEST OMIGODO FOR ANY KIND OF SPELL +2348079367204 said...

THANKS TO PRIEST OMIGODO FOR BRINGING BACK MY LOVER TO ME IN JUST 2DAYS HE IS VERY HELPFUL AND KIND MY LOVER LEFT ME AND MY THREE KIDS SINCE 5YEARS AGO WITH THE HELP OF PRIEST OMIGODO MY HUSBAND IS BACK AND WE ARE NOW BIG HAPPY FAMILY IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF HELP IN YOUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIPS PLEASE CONTACT PRIEST OMIGODO FOR HELP ON HIS EMAIL: omigodoshrine@hotmail.co.uk OR CALL HIS PHONE NUMBER ON +2348079367204

MRS ANTHONY ROBET
FROM USA

Unknown said...


I must confess that over here in the United States, it is very difficult to get a powerful spell caster that will be able to restore broken marriages or relationships, But through the help of the internet, i was able to get in touch with this powerful spell caster called Berit Haldis, after reading a lot of good reviews about her on the internet, so i contact him through these details via email: beritmagicaltemple@gmail.com, And after i told her about my relationship stress then Berit Haldis told me to calm down that my lover will come back to apologies to me, for leaving me, I never taught that this was going to be possible, Just within 48 hours that i contacted Berit Haldis my lover sent me and a sms text saying that i should forgive him and before i knew it he was already at my place begging me to accept him back. you can contact her on beritmagicaltemple@gmail.com

Kataryna said...

As for me, i can say that, I was single for almost 3 years. And then, I started acting. I changed all my life habits, started to use dating services( I didn't believe in it before I tried it)And I met my boyfriend on https://kovla.com/datings/us/afognak
Of course, I had a bad expirience too, But when I finally found my " The right one man" I can say, that all my attempts are worth it!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kataryna said...

As for me, i can say that, I was single for almost 3 years. And then, I started acting. I changed all my life habits, started to use dating services( I didn't believe in it before I tried it)And I met my boyfriend on https://kovla.com/datings/us/afognak
Of course, I had a bad expirience too, But when I finally found my " The right one man" I can say, that all my attempts are worth it!

Unknown said...



I was with my ex for 3 years n 6mthns n he cheated on me so we split, before he left me, we were planing to get married in the future, I loved him so much but I became tired of him lying to me every time he opens his mouth, I went into search for help in the internet, I tried many different spells from almost every place locally as well as online and none of them worked, I almost gave up hope because I thought i will never see my lover again forever, one day i saw some testimony about this powerful spell caster Great zula i emailed him and i asked him to help me bring back my lover and he did A Lover Spell for me And after some days, my lover returned back to me I'd like to say that i got a positive result from (greatzula@yahoo.com) ever since i used his love spell, my lover have learned to appreciate me more and more day by day, and he doesn't take me for granted.

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . .