Wednesday, October 28, 2009

...She smelled like soup...

By A

I'm waiting to see what happens with Hide and Seek Girl (HSG), to keep with the nomenclature SS has going here on her blog. In the meantime, I am very bored at work today so I figured I'd do a little blogging. I gotta admit, I kind of feel like a girl doing this, but I also have to admit it's kind of fun, so I'll get past the girlie feelings. Anyway, HSG is currently doing her hiding routine after some pretty good seeking yesterday. It's all good, I'm good at the game, as I mentioned before. Since I don't want to bore you to death, I will regale you with stories of past loves lost. If you recognize the headline and know what movie it's from - we can be friends. If you don't, perhaps you're familiar with Chandler from "Friends," or Jerry from "Seinfeld" and how they were VERY particular about their women having any idiosyncrasies. Jerry broke up with a woman for eating peas off a knife, for example. Chandler broke up with a girl for having a large head. The point is, sometimes we break up with people for the DUMBEST reasons. I try very hard to not be like that, as I'm aware that I am not the easiest person in the world to hang out with for very long. I won't go into my idiosyncrasies, but I'm sure they're annoying to some, if not many, women I've gone out with.

HOWEVER, sometimes, it just gets to be too much. Case in point: Cute Honda Girl (named for being really cute - sexy even and having an unnatural affinity for Honda cars - not her idiosyncrasy, however.) CHG and I hit it off pretty much immediately. There was a definite physical spark, which for me is a must have and we had it, from the get-go. Then...I went to her house. I think calling it a pig sty would be an affront to pigs and I was a little grossed out. There were spills that had been out so long they didn't even resemble the original food anymore. There was a mess on the carpet that I think had been there since Adam (still not sure to this day what it was). And there was dirty laundry and boxes and crap EVERYWHERE (and no, she hadn't just moved in.) I can't give her too much crap about the laundry, as mine sits on my bed for days, but the spills and the stuff on the carpet...ugh. We basically had to clear a spot to even be able to make out! Yes, I make the small sacrifices, it's true but I still left that night thinking I was done with her. Buuuuuut, I thought about it and said to myself, "Maybe she's just having an off day, let's give her another chance, she's really cute." Done. We made a date for lunch and she picked me up at my office. Her car looked like she lived in it...let that sink in for a second...yeah, that bad. She had excuses for the junk, and I bought it - YES, she was that cute! I'm telling you. At least she had good taste in lunch locations so I wasn't completely turned off that time.

Moving on, I decide it's time for another adventure to her house. You know where this is going. Uh-huh! It was the same, NO CHANGE IN A WEEK! I shudder to think how long that spilled food had been out in the kitchen and the same mess was still on the carpet. She had a vacuum, I saw it! I was flabbergasted...I still made out with her (please see definition of her nickname). Then the kicker, she added me as a FB friend and I went through her pictures and there it was...the requisite driving down the road self-portrait from a good year earlier - same car - same mess in the back seat. It was over, the girl was a slob. I personally think I was only fair in the chances I gave her. I still think back fondly on our make-outs and dates NOT at her house or in her car, but then those images sneak into my mind and I puke a little in my mouth. I believe everyone deserves a second chance, and in this case I made the right decision to bail after the second and third chances. I told her I just wasn't feeling the connection, when in fact I was feeling nauseous. I couldn't be So mean as to tell her she was a slob, but I couldn't stick around either. She moved right on to another guy, as far as I know, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Yes, these are the girls that I date...

10 comments:

Annie and Zeke Smyth said...

She smelled like soup!! LOVE THAT MOVIE!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds just like my roommate! Thankfully she lives in the basement so her mess doesn't spread upstairs too much. The one time I ventured downstairs I had to leave just as quickly because I couldn't walk through the piles of clothes and underwear that spread throughout her bedroom, two living rooms, and her bathroom! Every time she leaves the kitchen, I find myself having to do way more than my regular amount of cleaning up. It's disgusting. And she eats A LOT of tuna (tuna + not cleaning up after yourself = nausea making).
I think it's a perfectly good reason to break up with someone. If you don't want to live like that, then you probably don't want to marry her and spend eternity cleaning up after her! If only I could break up with my roommate.

whyimstillsingle said...

I actually did break up with a roommate over this. The smells did me in more than anything. Even in her car. Ew.

Ellie said...

I think that you would have done her a favor had you told her the real reason you broke up with her. Not that she would have necessarily changed anything, but at least she would know that some guys (and girls, for that matter) care about that sort of thing.

Maggie said...

That is so gross. I'm glad you dumped her. I'm keeping this story and sending it to whiny single girls with gross apartments.

anonymous said...

If I had told her the real reason, she would have said, "I'll change, I'll clean up" etc. And by the time I'd given it 3 chances I was done and didn't need the drama. Plus, I couldn't take the chance - it was that bad. Go get the episode of friends where Ross dates Rebecca Romijn, you'll see what I mean (season 4 I believe). And saying that would have just mean in my book, and I have a very hard time being mean - even if people potentially deserve it.

I do know other guys who have broken up with women because they're slobs, so that just goes to show that we're not as superficial as you might think. Hot does not supersede messy.

Angela said...

hahahha.. the whole time i read this post i was thinking of the rebecca romijn episode of FRIENDS. lol. but seriously, that's just gross. i mean, even if you are occasionally messy or whatever, that's just gross. there are times when life gets in the way - and you can't get to things immediately. however, there's a breaking point, too. where you just CAN'T stand it and you MUST clean. and when you do, it feels so good and divine. just saying. I wonder if her mama always picked up after her and never made her do anything? cause, how does that happen? ew.

Courtney said...

Heed! Paper! Now! Move that melon of yours and get the paper if you can, hauling that gargantuan cranium about!

anonymous said...

Courtney, we can be friends :-)

anonymous said...

Oh and Annie and Zeke Smyth too! ;-)